Saturday 14 May 2011

Hexagonal exploding box!

I was after a crafty Mothers Day present for my mother and mother-in-law, and saw one of these in a magazine, so I thought I would have a go! The finished product did look smaller than in the magazine, so you will need to use passport size photos, but if you enlarge the template, you could use bigger pictures.

I found the ideal template for my exploding box here:

So here is how I did it, please excuse the dirty mat, I'm a messy crafter :)

Here is the base layer, the best way I could think of to do this was to trace the template onto baking paper, cut out the template, then trace onto cardstock, and cut out.


Repeat with other two layers:




You will need to adhere the photos to the paper before you put your box together. I used 2 sheets of Grace Taylor Vintage elegance and alternated them among the photos. As this was my first attempt and it was a Mothers Day gift, I wanted the focus to be the photos, not the box itself. I kept it very basic, and used a patterned cardstock for the lid. However, you can bling it up as much as you like! You don't even have to add photos to every tab. You can use some rub-ons, or embellishments, the only limit is the size and your imagination! :)

So here is the finished product, sorry I didn't add the lid, I was running very short on time making this:



Hope you enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment